Wednesday

author attention deficit disorder

Although I am frankly frightened by the amount of psychotropic drugs now being taken by kids, I have to admit that I've become intrigued by the topic of ADD. I am researching the topic for an article I'm writing for a magazine.

As I read through the symptoms, I realized that I would unquestionably have been diagnosed with ADD if I were a kid now instead of a kid in the 70s and 80s. Except for discipline problems at home and in the classroom, I had just about every single symptom.

And in fact, I still do. I clearly fit the adult ADD profile, which is why writing and editing are a good job fit for me. I get to do new things every week or even every day, so I never have to stay with something beyond the limit of my very scattered attention span.