Thursday

the clinton memoir

So I spent an hour or so flipping thru the book this afternoon and I have to agree with the reviews that say it's badly written. It's just one long narrative ("So then this happened and after that I did this and the next day I did this other thing...." and on and on and on...).

I saw him interviewed on Oprah yesterday and was very disturbed at how flip he was in answering her question as to whether he feels he owes Monica Lewinsky an apology. He laughed the question off.

Hell yes he owes her an apology. Of course he does. She is responsible for her own immoral and unwise choice to get involved with him, but the onus of the blame falls on him, since he's thirty years older than she is and was her boss.

The Lewinsky affair got him a $10 million book deal. All it got her was a ruined life -- before her life had really even begun.

Can you imagine what it must be like to be Monica Lewinsky on a day-to-day basis?

My favorite political memoir is Keeping Faith by Jimmy Carter. I also really like G. Gordon Liddy's autobiography.